Our Blog

7 Things About UL Labels That You Should Know

Some helpful advice worth sharing from our years of working with companies to produce their UL (Underwriter’s Laboratories) labels:

  • There’s a lot of details and jargon–but they are important. For example, did you know the difference between PGJI2 labels and PGJI8 labels is literally a country (USA versus Canada in this case)? That can be the different between getting the all clear from an inspector and having product held up.
  • There are two very distinct types of UL Labels. One is for printing UL Marks and involves at least one of UL’s logos (i.e. UL Listed). The other is for UL Recognized Components and is generally reserved for safety labels and markings.
  • If you are printing a UL mark (i.e. UL Listed) you need a UL authorized printer. UL audits these authorized printers as many as 4 times a year, to make sure their product is in compliance.
  • Within the category of UL mark, there are two different types (think of them as subcategories). They are known as Type-L and Type-R. The easiest way to tell them apart? Type-L have issue or serial numbers, while Type-R have control numbers.
  • When dealing with UL Recognized Components, the application surface matters. Not only for what type of adhesive you should use, but the temperature suitability of the material. For example, it’s not uncommon for a face stock to be rated for 300 degrees on one material, and 180 degrees on another.
  • For UL Recognized Component Labels, make sure your printer doesn’t forget the core label. This informs the UL inspector of the exact composition of the labels. We have heard about about many a project stalled because their labels weren’t properly marked.
  • Don’t worry, it’s not just you. UL actually makes it that confusing sometimes. Deep breath!
UL Classified Labels
UL Labels
UL Label

Still perplexed? Want help, advice, or guidance to make sense of it all? Feel free to read our Guide to UL Labels or contact our UL experts to help navigate your UL Label project.